Monday, November 28, 2011

Santas Anonymous; The Quest for Christmas Love

Over the last 26 years there have been over 50,161 people which have been helped  - majority of which have been children - by Father Mercerdi High School Santas Anonymous Program.  The community has entrusted the school with the noble calling of supplying citizens of Wood Buffalo with a week's supply of food, including a traditional Christmas dinner and gifts for each child in the house. Last year the number of hampers requested was the highest ever,  topping out at 650 families in need of help. 
It is no wonder that I found myself driving to Father Mercredi High School on November 27th for the Christmas Market in support of Santas Anonymous.  As I walked into the transformed foyer at Father Mercredi I was welcomed by three of Santa's happy Elves.  It was quickly apparent that the students thoroughly enjoyed helping out with this cause.

As I made my way through the market I stopped to talk to people I knew, and vendors that peaked my interest... and there were quite a few. I was immediately interested in Tocara jewelry (www.tocaraplus.com).  Anyone who knows me at all would attest that I am one to stop for good jewelry and conversation which was both found in abundance as I talked to Lesley Abbott.  I totally adore homemade cards, but lack the patience and more importantly the time to make them myself, so I was extremely happy to to run across P-Ink Creations (p-inkcreations@hotmail.com). They had a great assortment of products and to top it all off they will make custom made cards if I need them.  Definitely keeping that on my list of things to remember, although cat's out of the bag now it would seem.  So if you get a homemade card from me, know two things.  First, I didn't make it and  two it is the thought that counts.  I also missed Festival of Trees this year, as I have unfortunately done for the past two years because it falls on the same weekend as two very important general meetings in Edmonton, so it was wonderful to see Blissful Occasions (www.blissfuloccasions.webs.com) there.  They had those clay snowmen that I have purchased every year since my son was born for the Christmas tree. Most happy circumstance indeed.
Tocara - Lesley Abbott

P-Ink Creations - Pamela Clark
With a good start on my Christmas shopping completed I made my way back to my car.  Even though I was done I could see people still driving into the full parking lot searching for a parking spot to support this worthy cause.  You see.....the people who live in Wood Buffalo will come out to support a good cause. 
There are many more opportunities for you to get involved if you missed the Teddy Bear Toss at the Oil Baron Game or the Market.  To get the latest up-dates you can go on the Father Mercredi Santas Anonymous website http://fmsantas.com
December 6, 2011
- Father Mercredi Musical Christmas – 7:30pm to 9:30pm at Father Mercredi Cafeteria – Come listen to our student bands and choirs perform Christmas performances to get you in the Christmas spirit. Donations will be accepted for Santa's Anonymous. I can't wait to go.  It is already in my calendar.
December 8, 2011
- Pancake Breakfast – Father Mercredi High School – 7am – 8:30am where I will be serving breakfast from 7:30 until 8 am
December 9 and 10, 2011
- Miracle Marathon – Continuous Radio Coverage supported by Safeway Canada and 93.3 Country and Rock 97.9
- We will be accepting new toys, non-perishable food items and monetary donations. This is a great time for local businesses to donate and challenge other local businesses to do the same.
December 16, 2011
Packing Day – Hampers will be packed and delivered. Call 780-799-5725 if you are interested in delivering hampers.



If you know of a family that is in need and could use some Christmas love please have the referral form http://fmsantas.com/santas-anonymous-referral-form  submitted to Father Mercerdi Santas Anonymous by December 9th, 2011.  I have both packed these hampers and delivered around Fort McMurray and I have seen the joy on people's faces as we drop off toys, and food with nothing more than a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in exchange.  If you have time to spare the return for your time is more than worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment