Tuesday, November 1, 2011

KAOS at Family Skate

As many of you already know I use to be an on-air host...apparently you can't say deejay anymore...politically correctness and the like......for KAOS 91.1 for about a year and a half.  I volunteered for this. And who wouldn't?  Great station.  Positive message.  Doing good things for the community.  Right up my alley. I had my own mid-day show from 10 until 3 pm Monday, Wednesday and Fridays.  I loved doing it.  Anyone who knows me knows that the saying. "just give me a mike, a room and a crowd of people and I am all good" applies to me.  Unfortunately I had to give it up in May of 2011.  I hung on as long as I could,  but my time commitment with my Board lives made it impossible.  The station holds a soft spot in my heart and always will.  They are a good group of people. 
One of the things that I loved doing , believe it or not, was hanging out handing out hot chocolate and coffee on the Family Skate days.  KAOS 91.1, in conjunction with local sponsors provides a free family skate on Sundays down at MacDonald Island from 2:30 until 4:30 pm.  I have had more than a few jobs during the family skates, but my favorite has always been handing out those delicious beverages to people. For me it is about giving back to a community that has given so much to our family.  It is about reconnecting with people I have not seen since the last Family Skate.  It is about more than hot chocolate.  It is about community.
If you have not had a chance yet to partake in this event with your family I would strongly suggest that you do.  I was there on October 30th for the Heroes and Heroines Costume Skate. There were children and adults all dressed up in Halloween costumes hitting the ice....some literally.  There were smiling faces and the incredulous statement. " It's free?!  Really?!"  My answer is, "Absolutely.  I hope you enjoy yourself today and have fun.  Don't forget to come out again and bring your friends." People have a hard time understanding that concept of free..no strings attached idea.  When they realize that you mean it, their face breaks into a uncontrolled smile.  For me ...that's it....that's what I came for.
You can find out more about the Station and how they are giving back to the community in many ways by going to their website. www.kaos911.com

No comments:

Post a Comment