Sunday, December 18, 2011

Santas Anonymous Delivery Day

On December 16th I had the best job of the Christmas season.  I got to help deliver Santas Anonymous hampers in the city.  I arrived early at Father Mercerdi High School for the 9 am Liturgy, so I had time for a cup of coffee and a chance to talk to people before it started.  There were students busy working on getting the out-of-town hampers all loaded up for the volunteers to take as far as Chip. Lake.  Even had a chance to talk to my favorite blogger before settling in for the morning's Liturgy and Assembly.
During the Liturgy Father talked about the importance of the work being done and the impact that these students will have on our community. I do believe that the students lives have been transformed by Santas Anonymous, just as much as they are changing someone else's.  I have talked to the students and some of the teachers who talk about students blossoming and growing in confidence through the work that they have been doing.  Year after year students run this worthwhile event.  And I know for a fact that each year students who have graduated come back to help with Santas Anonymous saying that it is not Christmas until they have helped out.  I almost made it through the Liturgy without crying.  It was when the students spoke and offered up their prayers that I lost it.  I think I covered pretty good and no one noticed as the lights were low. 
Photo by McMurray Musings

Photo by McMurray Musings

Soon it was time for delivering hampers.  I had brought my Matrix so with all the seats laying down flat, we piled the car full of hampers, toys, turkeys, oranges, milk, margarine and buns.  With list in hand and a little GPS fun we made it to each house to deliver some Christmas joy. There is nothing quite like spending a day delivering to houses across the city to make one appreciate what these students have achieved.  In retrospect, I should have listened to seasoned veteran and brought a box of Kleenex. On more than one occasion I had to tell myself... you will not cry...you will not cry.  It worked until I got home later that day and let my emotions and exhaustion overtake me.

Thank you to everyone who has made this 27th Santas Anonymous day happen.  Without the tireless dedication of students, parents, staff, donors and volunteers none of this could happen.  I thank you for letting me be a small part in this project and I am forever grateful.  You are amazing!



Check this video out -- COUNTRY 933 SANTAS ANONYMOUS WRAP UP.wmv by clicking on the link below;
http://t.co/3nXVHH7D

Santas Anonymous Promotional Video 2011 from Father Mercredi School;
http://youtu.be/2d2aE7Or1Zg

No comments:

Post a Comment