Monday, December 27, 2010

Boxing Day

I did something that I have not done in years yesterday....I went to the mall on Boxing Day.  I received a couple of gift cards for Christmas from my family.  They have learnt that I am notoriously difficult to buy for, and I am grateful that they have decided to do the gift card.  I know some people may think that is cold or un-imaginative, but to me that is practical.  I never know what I want until I see it, plus I get to shop...which I have to admit I totally adore doing, and they don't have to spend hours wandering around looking for something I most likely will return.  It's a win-win situation as far as I can see.
But I digress.  I was standing outside the one and only store I planned on visiting on Boxing Day - People's Jewelry Store. I mean who doesn't want a gift card from there?  As I lean against the pillar outside watching the people line up at various stores...waiting in buyer's anticipation, I begin to wonder about the whole Boxing Day thought process.  I look around me and no one is lining up to get into the jewelry store.  Well, me and a couple of older people....that's it!  I look across the way and there is a line zig-zagging through the mall outside of La Senza.  This is where I begin to wonder.  I can get diamonds, gold and other gems at People's for up to 60% off today or I can line-up and get crappy underwear for the same price that I'm going to pay for a beautiful necklace made of tri-gold. In fact, you don't even have to line-up if you don't want anymore.  Most of what you can find in the stores you can order online, and during the season they mostly offer free shipping.

What did I learn out of little excursion to the mall on Boxing Day?
  1. Shopping on-line rocks.
  2. Gift cards can be fun to receive and use.
  3. Reaffirmation that going to the mall on Boxing Day is not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment